Get insights into the issue of browser homepage, new tab and search suddenly defaulting to Omniboxes.com and learn an effective hijacker removal workaround.
Regretfully, even popular and well-respected software download resources like Download.com, Soft32 and Softonic do not shun the promotion of questionable utilities in a drive-by fashion. The open-source tools involved in this malware spreading process are not to blame – it’s the custom wizards that cause problems by automatically recommending a certain promo configuration. So stay away from installations that offer extra stuff.
The PUP introduces a browser add-on to the system, which implements a preferences tweaking activity through no consent on the victim’s end. The settings that fall under these modifications are the start page, the desired search engine and the new tab page in Firefox, Chrome and IE. This causes Omniboxes.com to be constantly resolved in the course of Internet surfing instead of the previously defined sites or a blank page. The extension is also known to hijack the shortcuts for the above browsers as well as shortcuts for some other frequently used applications. By appending the corresponding URL string to the Target preset, the infection makes sure Omniboxes.com is visited as part of the program launch routine. To troubleshoot this unpropitious plight, use the information below which rests upon the best practices of adware removal.
Automated removal of Omniboxes virus
Owing to an up-to-date database of malware signatures and intelligent behavioral detection, the recommended software can quickly locate the infection, eradicate it and remediate all harmful changes. So go ahead and do the following:
1. Download and install the antimalware tool. Open the solution and have it check your PC for PUPs and other types of malicious software by clicking the Start Computer Scan button
2. Rest assured the scan report will list all items that may harm your operating system. Select the detected entries and click Fix Threats to get the troubleshooting completed.
Use Control Panel to get rid of Omniboxes adware
• Open up the Control Panel from your Start menu in Windows and select Uninstall a program
• To facilitate the process of locating the threat, sort the programs list by date to get the latest ones displayed at the very top. Find omniboxes uninstall under the Name column, click Uninstall and follow further directions to get the removal done
Restore web browser settings to their original defaults
In the circumstances of a complex browser hijack like this, executing a reset makes the most sense despite a few obvious downsides. Customizations such as saved passwords, bookmarked pages etc. will be gone, but so will all the changes made by the potentially unwanted program. The instructions below address the workflow for the web browsers most targeted by Omniboxes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox, type about:support in the URL area and press Enter
• On the Troubleshooting Information screen, spot the Refresh Firefox button and click on it
• Follow subsequent directions to reset Firefox to its original settings
• Restart the browser.
Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome, click the icon for Chrome menu and choose Settings
• Scroll down the settings screen and click Show advanced settings
• Click Reset settings
• Finally, confirm the restoration by clicking Reset on the warning message
• Restart Chrome.
Reset Internet Explorer
• Select Internet options under IE’s Tools
• Proceed by clicking on Advanced tab, then select Reset
• To confirm the intended changes, click Reset on the Reset Internet Explorer Settings screen after ascertaining that the Delete personal settings checkbox is enabled
• Reboot the machine to fully implement the fix.
Revise your security status
Post-factum assessment of the accuracy component in malware removal scenarios is a great habit that prevents the comeback of harmful code or replication of its unattended fractions. Make sure you are good to go by running an additional safety checkup.